Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lost: A Dispatch From Brokenness


Lost: A Dispatch From Brokenness 

Location: Placentia, CA

Time: 10:27 P.M.

 

As I sit here in my new friend Merrick’s room I am lost within my thoughts, hopes, and prayers of the past two months. The pain of a failed relationship and the brokenness which still accompanies, the loneliness of youth, and the sickness of a parent whose situation still seems beyond my comprehension or reason. I have given up the search for reason and logic behind all of this pain. The reasons make little difference to the present impact and feeling of the moment. Yet as I sit here seemingly lost amidst, I am struck by how real this all is and how the reality of God is made known through the pain. I have indeed become lost in a sort of obsession.

This obsession of late is with the reality of brokenness and pain that exists in every facet of life. Make no mistake; this is not a sort of pathetic depression induced pity party (although the origins may or may not be of that kind) but rather a simple acknowledgement and peace with the reality that in all humanity is and does, we are broken and filled with pain. I do legitimately mean I find peace in the midst of pain, brokenness, and war. It is in the context of my pain that I discover power of true shalom. Even as I write this the incessant and annoying feeling of loss plagues me, but then a moment passes and grace falls with peace onto my heart and spirit. Amongst this, I am also more aware, in a powerful way, of the connections between brokenness and love. This should not be a surprise I suppose to many older and wiser Christians or even people for that matter, but to me this is a new realization in that this obscure theological talk is being brought down into the dirtiness of life. The paradox of the light manifesting itself with and in darkness has now been imprinted upon my heart as I see Christ and both Lord and suffering servant who endured all brokenness and death to give life. Only the words of peace and love can be placed with such power.

 I would not even post such a thing on a public blog except that I feel that this reality of God and situation is universal and therefore not solely mine. This I realize is an out of character post but I suppose I am changing out of “character” and into something more full and real . . 

 

 

 

Sincerely with love,

 

Luke 

2 comments:

Becca said...

I am so blessed to be your friend. Thanks.

Luke, Ryan, Kyle said...

haha im happy to be YOUR friend : )